kj

kj

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Stinky Linky - Dad's version

     July 16 was a day Savanna and I had been looking forward to since last week. We had scheduled an induction for Lincoln and were hoping to get in that day. Luckily, we were admitted into the University of Utah Hospital around 8AM. Savanna started on oxytocin pretty quickly to begin a consistent contraction pattern. She was contracting quite regularly most of the morning and afternoon. None of the contractions had been very painful, so we sat around a lot and walked a little.

     Throughout the day, the doctors had been checking her labor progress. What they found was that she was pretty comfortable at 2cm all day, but effacement continued to increase from 70% in the morning to 100% in the afternoon. During the doctors' first two checks they tried to break Savanna's bag of water, but failed three times.

     About 30 minutes before another doctor check, I told Savanna I needed to eat something and would be right back. The cafeteria was empty, so I didn't feel rushed like the first time I ate. Plus, I was thinking, "This may be a long night. I better stock up!" (Thankfully, I did.) While eating dinner, a mom with her 2 month-old and 2 or 3 year old had a little spill with their drink, so I helped them wipe up and pick up the ice. I then finished my dinner and slowly began to make my way back up to Savanna.

    I opened the door to Savanna's room and noticed a flurry of shoes underneath the privacy curtain. I walked passed the curtain, only to be continued to my chair on the opposite side of the room. Our nurse sat me down and said, "Stay here, we're taking Savanna to have an emergency C-section. Someone will come back to talk to you." While she was telling me this, I heard nurses and doctors report, "I haven't found the heartbeat." "How long?" "Seven minutes." And off they went to the Operating Room. Fast.

     I was left alone for a few minutes before another nurse came in to explain to me a little bit about what was happening. She informed me that our nurse hadn't really been able to find Lincoln's heartbeat, and when she did it was very low. She wanted to insert an internal monitor to get a more accurate reading, but this only could be done after the water was broken. The doctor came in to break Savanna's water, which he did. Our nurse then began trying to place the monitor on the baby's head. Still no reading. She noticed a lot of blood. She then rushed in doctors and nurses which began trying to find the heart beat. That's when I walked in. The nurse who spoke to me explained I may be able to scrub in on the delivery, in which she left to go get me some scrubs. Yet before she got back a doctor came in with news about the delivery.

    The doctor explained to me a little bit more about what had happened. She told me Savanna was doing ok. The anesthesiologist put her completely out for the C-section, with no complications. The reason why they performed the emergency C-section was possibly because of an abruption of the placenta from the uterine wall, meaning, the placenta broke off the uterine wall before it was supposed to. This caused a loss of blood to baby and Savanna. The doctor then said that the Newborn Intensive Care Unit now has him and were putting IVs and other lines and tubes into him. But she really didn't tell me anything else.

     I then began calling our parents to tell them the news that our baby boy had been born, nearly breaking down on both calls. I was in a stupor. While I was talking to Ron, two more doctors came in to update me a little more about baby. They said I had to wait to see Savanna and baby, but both were doing all right. Again, hit by a wave of information confirming what I had just been told, I uttered to Ron that his grandson had been born and Savanna's doing all right, but that I was alone. He asked, "Do you want us to come up?" "Yes," I muttered. I then called my parents, explaining to them the same thing. They could tell I was nearly in shock, and asked as well, "Can we come up?" "YES!" I desperately exclaimed.

     Still alone.

     I had another doctor introduce himself as the attending neonatalogist. He then explained a little more about what happened: They hadn't been able to find baby's heart beat for 7 minutes inside the womb. After they pulled him out, he didn't have a pulse or a heart beat, he was very pale. They performed CPR for 12 or 13 minutes before they were able to revive the baby. Because of such a traumatic experience, they were (and are) still worried about any long-term brain damage. This lack of oxygen to the brain and other organs is called hypoxia. Because of this hypoxia, he was placed on a cooling bed in the NICU. The cooling bed has been found to significantly decrease, or at least minimize any brain damage. Protocol instructs babies suffering from hypoxia will be kept on the cooling bed for 72 hours. So that means little man will be chillin' (literally) in the NICU for a while. As the doctor explained this to me, I was still soaking it all in, not really controlling my "what if" or "just tell me how bad it is now!" thoughts, but containing them to myself. No body really knew that and they still aren't completely sure now about any damage.

     One of the doctors who had already spoke to me entered the room again. She explained a little more about baby's status. Lincoln (who hadn't been named yet) had been placed on the cooling pad and was doing well. Other doctors were finishing putting an IV and lines for a blood transfusion and some medicine for his heart. Lincoln was hooked up to a ventilator and oxygen as well. She told me I could come into to see him. "Would you like to do that?" "Yes, please." I noticed after every doctor had gave me their news and updates, I just said, "Thank you. Thank you." Not really knowing what else to say. They whisked me into the NICU and I was able to wash up and touch my baby boy! This was only after the doctors had placed the lines and checked them with an X-ray. Lincoln was pretty stable for what he had gone through. As the doctors were finishing up with Lincoln, another nurse or doctor was explaining everything that was going on and then invited me to touch him. Everyone was asking what his name was, "We're still deciding." or "I need to talk to my wife." While in the NICU, I learned a little more about the possible problem that occurred. The umbilical cord may have not been connected to the placenta in the correct location (normally smack dab in the middle of the disk-like lifegiver). What they theorized was that the umbilical was connected to the placenta closer to the edge of the placenta, therefore, also connecting to the bag of water, so when the bag of water was rupturing, so did a few blood vessels, which caused an alarming decrease in Link's blood pressure. The rupturing of waters also jolted the placenta enough that it abrupted and broke off the uterine wall too soon.

     When I came up to him, in his fragile state, I felt so much love for him. I prayed with him and for him and blessed him. In that slightly hectic rush of doctors and nurses, I felt that he would be comforted that many hands, seen and unseen, were protecting and nurturing him. I was told Savanna and my family were back in our room. I said goodbye to my baby and returned to my wife and family.

     One of the doctors came with me to explain what had happened. Savanna was still a little groggy from her general anesthesia, but she was quite aware of the story and asked some good questions. The doctor was pretty vague with Savanna and the family. I had heard the story a number of times and this one was not full. The family and doctor then left us alone to decide on a name. I showed her a couple pictures of our cute baby boy. I know she was groggy, but I felt pretty good about Ryan Lincoln Woodbury. She consented.

     I then was able to visit Lincoln again with one family member at a time. Ron was first. His first grandson. Darla was next. Her first grandson. Both were excited and speechless. I was then told by the nurse that more babies were expected to arrive at the NICU, and therefore, no non-patients were allowed in the NICU, so to get the rest of the visitors in. My parents came in and took some pictures. Then Mark, my brother, came to visit his nephew. We were all so happy to see him. After they left, I could stay because they said that Savvy was coming in to see her son for the first time! She was still a little drugged, but she was so happy to see her baby boy, Lincoln. The nurse was able to lift him up a little for her to see. Her smile ran from ear to ear when she saw her little baby boy. We then left for her recovery room.

     Our families left, so we had some time alone. Savanna was still in a lot of pain, but was a trooper and was able to begin taking oral medication (instead of an IV drip) pretty soon. We both slept quite well that first night. I slept the whole night even while Savanna was getting checked and monitored by the nurses. The nurses got her up in the early morning for her to walk around. She was able to go see Link again. She said she tried to wake me up, but I was out. She told me she was able to touch him for the first time. She was much more aware of what was going on compared to the time they rolled her in after she woke up from surgery.

     The next day was another long day, but we kept ourselves pretty busy. The nurse had some orders for Savanna to follow and we happily had visitors. Our families came to say Hello to Link again. Melissa and Tyler got to see their nephew for the first time. Everyone thinks he's a good looking kid. While my family was here, some nurses were hooking Link up for an EEG to test for unusual brain activity and seizures. (No word on that yet, but they just think he's shivering from the cold, and the EEG is protocol.) We had the Labor and Delivery doctors come in and speak with us about what exactly happened last night with the birth. These two doctors were very genuine and prepared for our questions. They weren't afraid to use medical terms (which Savanna wrote down). They also drew us pictures of what they found had happened. They were both extremely helpful and informative. (More to come on the exact medical story.) Later that night, we had another family visit, this time, we were able to give Link a blessing. My dad anointed. I, then, lightly placed my finger on him, while the others placed their hands on mine. A pure blessing was given.

     Savanna and I now are getting a routine with nurses checking her or bringing in pain meds. She's been walking and pumping and breathing and keeping everything slowly moving, so her body will safely recover. We are both extremely grateful for the many hands, seen and unseen, who have be caring after Lincoln. We appreciate the faith and prayers of our family and friends. We will continue to keep as up to date as we can.

     Here are a few pictures.
I was pretty excited. They said, if everything was normal, I could cut the cord! That didn't happen though.



Here he is with Momma's hand on him. That thing in his nose is a thermometer. He's been able to breathe completely on his own. He really likes to sleep right now.
He ended up having 26 electrode connected to his body (mostly on his head) to test for unusual brain activity. EEG.

There's Momma and Baby bonding. I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment