kj

kj

Monday, October 28, 2013

A Normal Baby

This week has been rather fun. It was Fall Recess for Notre Dame so Ryan had the whole week off. having two parents home really makes life easy. I got a nap everyday with Ryan around....pure bliss.

We did a lot of cleaning and organizing. We are now officially moved in. Well there is still one box left but its mostly junk. I also had a short interview at a children's store. They will let me know next week if I get the job or not...hopefully I will and hopefully they won't mind that I'll be in Disneyland for the first week of work. I'm really nervous about that. I really would love this job.

Ryan didn't get to spend every minute with us during his break. He went up to Canada for a psychology conference Thursday-Saturday. It was my first time being left alone here and lucky for me I know all my neighbors and felt completely safe.

Friday I went to Chicago with Linc-the-Stink for a neurology visit. Since he spent so much time in the ICU and had such bad Apgar scores, he qualifies for this program in Illinois where we get special help to make sure he is developing on track and making sure his brain is doing great things.

When I grow up I've decided I want to be a child's P.T. (Physical Therapist). That lady, Mary Kay, did wonders with him. She got him to do tummy time without crying and he even supported his head and played a bit. She got him to stand up and do a lot of other fun things even when he was past due for his noontime feed. I'm feeling so lucky to have this support. Everything is on track and he's doing great. His weight is still a slight concern, he's only in the 3rd percentile, but we're watching that. Oh it was so good to hear he is a normal baby. I love having a normal baby.

After his appointment we wandered around town for a bit. I love visiting Chicago, the buildings are so beautiful and the energy there is amazing. I doubt I'd ever want to live in a big city though. Visiting is wonderful.

We got home just in time to Skype with Ryan and then head to our Ward Halloween Party. The party was kinda lame since they decided to do it indoors due to bad weather. They didn't have much planned for the kids but they entertained themselves running around in their costumes. Shout out to Aunt Jana for providing Lincoln with his costume this year...any takers for next year? ;)

Saturday Ryan got home and we watched the Notre Dame game, relaxed, and were happy to be together again.

Lincoln fell asleep mid-cheer for Notre Dame. His arms were totally suspended in the air when we found him like this in his crib. Silly goof.

 Lincoln truly is a Normal baby now. Everything is good with his heart and his development. 

My neighbor and good friend asked me to tell her Lincoln's story since she had only heard bits and pieces. I told her the whole sha-bang and realized mid-telling that I dread telling his story. I am ready to stop dwelling on it and move on.

I really dislike how people seem to always ask, "how did you deal with that" or they say "i could never go through that." I'm truly no one special. Everyone in life has hard things they have to get through and they do. Theres really not an option. You have to go through hard things. You do get to decide how you go through them. You can be positive or negative but its not going to change what you have to handle. I choose to be positive mostly thanks to my knowledge of my Savior. I have witnessed many miracles throughout Lincoln's small lifetime and those miracles strengthen me. I truly believe that with God on your team you can handle anything with a positive attitude.

The other thing that bothers me about telling Lincoln's story is how scary it is. I don't want to scare anyone. I remember talking with my good friend Annie while we were both pregnant. We both had the same ideas about birth so it was fun to share ideas with her. Anyways we were shocked at how women are so excited and eager to frighten others. "you were in labor for 10 hours well I was in labor for 20 and my epidural wore off" "you had a c-section well I...." Seriously why are we so eager to top each others stories and the scarier the better? I remember when I was pregnant and women would start talking like that I would tune them out. I didn't need those types of negative stories, especially around something as marvelous as bringing a child into this world. I don't get why we love to complain about childbirth. Childbirth is the most amazing thing. Amazing things take hard work but we don't need to brag about it. I hate how my true birth story is a scary one so I don't like telling it. I don't want to scare others because really my story is 1 in 5000. It's not the norm. I want others to be excited about giving birth not scared silly.

The last thing that bothers me about having Lincoln labeled Miracle Baby is to me all babies are miracles. My Grandma Nelda has such an understanding of this. I love talking to her about Lincoln because she agrees we saw many miracles to get him here and she is happy to just marvel in the fact that babies in general are miraculous. They really are. When you stop to think about it 9 months before they are born they physically don't exist. Procreation is the power of God yet we are allowed to have that power. We literally created life. When people make a big deal about calling Lincoln a miracle it makes other babies seem less miraculous.

Anyways the short story of this blog post is lets just call Lincoln Lincoln and put an end to calling him Miracle Baby and bragging about his miracles. His heart is healed and working amazing. His feeding tube is out and he's nursing like a pro. Lincoln is Lincoln.


Throwback Thursday. I found this picture of me and my Grandpa. I'm so glad everything went well with his heart surgery. I'm so excited for Lake Powell next year. We'll have the whole family together again. 

1 comment:

  1. Awe that pic is so cute. Yup Linc is Linc. And he is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete