kj

kj

Thursday, June 23, 2011

1st Trip of the Season



Have some good news and some bad news. The good news is my family pulled out our beloved boat today and hit up Utah Lake. The bad news was Ryan had to work and thus didn't get to come.
Now I would have felt a little guilty about leaving him behind but when he accidentally admitted he'd have felt no guilt if the roles were reversed I changed my mind. ;)
Now I am not a horrible wife. I did feel bad he wasn't there so I took lots of pictures and made sure I had extra fun so I could tell him all about it later.
This post is for you Hubby. Also this post is for you Marie. Congratulations on making your first blog appearance.

This is Marie's "what-foot-goes-in-back" dance.
The water was a little bit of a shock the first couple seconds after the jump-in.
This is my shocked-the-water-is -FREEZING!!!! face.
Woot Woot! I am really starting to LOVE skiing!

My dad is just happy to be behind the wheel again!
This is Marie's "I'm-so-overjoyed-to-be-sitting-in-my-boating-spot" face.

The happy family after boating!

I hope no one minds the fact that most of my blog posts are pictures; but since I did just take a 4 day class on how to teach better writing I should probably put some of my skills to use.

Boating in my family is almost religion. We have always LOVED boating as a family. Now that we are a bit older our boating trips have changed. It used to be all go go go but now it is a lot more chill.
Since the water was cold and a bit choppy today we all skied once and then we ate some PB&J and sat around in the middle of the lake and just talked. We talked about everything from family members to what we'll do next week in Jackson and of course memories came up.
My dad loves bringing up the time when we ran out of gas on Utah Lake and almost had to spend the night. It's a good story so I'll tell it now and then close up.
The Story of When We Ran Out of Gas on Utah Lake and Almost Had to Spend the Night
By: Savanna Woodbury

It was a hot summer day, (I was about 9 Marie was 4 years younger and my parents were Parent Age) and my family decided to crack out the boat, whip down to Utah Lake for some good boating action.
When we boat on Utah Lake we go to the far West side of the lake. There is always good water and no traffic, perfect for my Mom's mile long skis.
We tubed, skied, tubed some more, skied, we even chased down some big waves. (That was my favorite thing to do because I'd get to drive) Well the sun started to head down and we decided to make our way back to the opposite side of the lake to the harbor to pack up and go.
We made it half way across (for those of you who don't know Utah Lake it is HUGE) before we ran out of gas. We were in our little red Skipper of a boat with a gas gauge that didn't work.
My dad being the boy scout that he is always had a paddle in the boat for times like this but notice that the word paddle didn't have a S on the end of it. My parents had to take turns with the paddle and with the kids. We got back to the West side of the lake. We dropped my dad off at the shore and Mom tied the boat down to some tree branches.
My dad had left to hitchhike his way to a payphone (this was before cell phones) to call his brother Greg to come save us.
I remember it started getting dark and cool. I remember Mom telling me and Marie that if we stayed the night it would be just like Lake Powell, but I also remember thinking that it was nothing like Lake Powell.
Being a little kid during all of this I don't really remember much in between that conversation and then being in Greg's Van with his boys watching tv in the back while we made our way home.
I don't remember how the boat got home. I don't remember who stayed with the boat and who stayed with the kids. I don't remember where I slept that night. I only remembered the important things like we didn't wear seat-belts in Greg's van, we just laid down in the back (the seats had been taken out) and watched tv while we drove to where ever it was we went.
But that is my version of "The Story of When We Ran Out of Gas on Utah Lake and Almost Had to Spend the Night"

No comments:

Post a Comment