kj

kj

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Scout Camp

Before I let Ryan give you all the nitty gritty details of his Scout Camp adventure I thought I'd quickly get on and tell about a wonderful night we had last night with our friends Pete and Annie.
Let me give you some background on the Sundwalls. Ryan and Pete both served missions in New Jersey. They were companions. They are great friends. They liked to play at Princeton stadium on P-days. Pete is going to be a Psychologist and Ryan is going to research stuff for Pete. They both came home from their missions and promptly married the two greatest girls in Utah.
Pete, Annie, Ryan and I have had some great adventures. We hiked Timpanogos last summer. We both got engaged in the fall. We all went to Temple Square to see the lights. They got married and then a month later we got married.
Since being married we've all been real busy but we made time to have a dinner date with them. It was so much fun. I made Chicken Cordon Bleu (a new recipe not good on the stresses to use a new recipe on guests), they brought a wonderful pasta salad and we dined and visited.
After dinner we went country dancing in P-town. It was so much fun. I forget how much I love dancing until I get to go again. My poor husband hates dancing but he's good at it and he loves me. ;) It was fun going with Pete and Annie because they were at the same basic element of skill as us so we all learned together.
I am so impressed with my good husband. He can really dance when he wants to; and he doesn't do the side-to-side slow dance he actual knows steps and can lead me. We had a fun time learning some real fun lifts. You should really ask to see our twist-a-roo! It's super fun.


Now on to boring Scout Camp........

Let me give you the quote that the teacher who reported on scout camp gave. "Uh... we went to the Sand Dunes and we camped. We ate chili and pop-tarts, played capture the flag, and climbed up Sand Mountain." That sums it up. Both the teachers and deacons went on the camp out. Those boys are very funny. As we drove down to the Dunes, the Suburban that I was in was watching McGyver (who we all know is Chuck Norris's son, and the cousin of James Bond, the nephew of Indiana Jones, and the great-great-great-great-great grandson of Luke Skywalker.) I was in the front seat, so I missed all the action, but I could hear the epic scenes.
When we arrived at the Dunes, most of the boys started playing around in the sand. This was the first time that I've been on a scout camp as a leader, so I was surprised at the boys lack of preparation, but I thought to myself, "I probably did the same thing." (Since it's been so long that I was a scout.) Some of the boys only brought a sleeping bag and (maybe) a change of clothes. Dang. There was another boy who, got out of the car, "OH! I know why I wasn't supposed to come on the camp-out," he exclaimed, "I have a dance competition tomorrow at noon. We have to leave early." As the other boys heard this, they said, "yeah right." The leaders kind of laughed as they squawked to each other. "No... We ALL have to leave tomorrow, early." That was funny. We also forgot a pot to cook the chili, and utensils to cook. So we borrowed a pot from the deacons who were a little more prepared.
All those who have been to scout camp know that when there is lighter fluid, it will most likely not return home. Well, two bottles of lighter fluid were used at an alarming rate, which kept the fire cozy all night long, even through the light rain. The morning was cool and as I woke up to talk to the other leaders about preparing breakfast, they mentioned they forgot the pancake mix too. Oh man.... good thing the boy who had the dance competition had his dad come down to pick him up, because before the dad left we asked if he could grab some pancake mix. Well, he ended up bringing down a breakfast feast of pancake mix, sausage, and eggs. We were very thankful. As the morning passed, we decided to go to Sand Mountain, the tallest sand dune of them all! Let me tell you, climbing up sand that is ridiculously steep is extremely harder than climbing up a rocky hike. We had brought up some sleds, hoping the way down would be worth it. The saucers cruised down the mountain, and the boogie board needed some boosts to scoot its way down the mountain. Everyone else raced up the side on 4-wheelers. After the long hike and the semi-eventful descent, we went home. Again McGyver was saving the day on the drive, but I slept this time.


There you have it folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment