kj

kj

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Heavy Heart

This is a sad post. Last week my dad informed Marie and I that our puppy dog Cleo was in a bad way. She is a very old puppy dog and has been loosing mobility in her hind legs for a couple years now. Dad called and told us that he had a feeling that Cleo's time with us was numbered in days.

On Thursday Dad sent me a text telling me that Cleo's hind leg joint snapped that morning and he had made an appointment with the vet to put her down on Friday. It was such horrible news.Friday was a day off for me, due to Parent-Teacher-Conferences so I was able to be there with the family without any other worries.

Friday was a very emotional day for us. We took Cleo into the Vet around 10:30am. We had all said our good-byes at the house with a family prayer. The vet was very reassuring and understanding of all the tears we shed in his office. The actual procedure was very peaceful for Cleo. She just put her head down and closed her eyes. Several more tears were shed for our wonderful Puppy.

We then made the trek up to Grandma Davidson's to add Cleo's body to the other wonderful Davidson Dogs like Lady, Samson, and Boogie. Grandma joined us at the grave and we all got to share stories of Cleo's time with our family.
 Marie was given a dog as her birthday gift. I remember my Mom coming and telling me the news, we went to Old Navy and got some cute dog items (collar, water dish) to surprise her with. Marie was sick in her bed that birthday and so we gathered around on her bed to give the gifts. As she opened my gift (a pink dog collar) she looked rather puzzled and didn't catch on until the dog dish. She later told us she thought the collar was a belt that was much too small. 
Marie and my dad went on the search for the perfect puppy for our family. They came back with a beautiful girl named Cleo.

 Cleo was so patient with everyone. She would sit still and let us dress her up with ribbon and bows. Cleo was not a people puppy. Whenever we'd have big groups of family over she would often hide in my parents bedroom. Kela, our cousin, loved Cleo from the minute she met her. I remember once Kela sitting and bouncing on Cleo's back and Cleo just laid down and let Kela have her fun. Once Kela was done, Cleo was outta there!

 Another fun memory of CleoDog was Cleo's ability to hide from things she didn't like. She could always be found in a closet, either Marie's or Dad's, during a thunderstorm, fireworks or on Saturday Morning when Mom wanted to take her out for a run. :)

 
 Cleo has been with our family for about 9 years. She was with us through some very hard times and well as some wonderful adventures. It is a very sad thing for us to loose her but we know she is happy where she is now. Cleo is with Mom now, running.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. It's always hard to loose a member of the family. Thanks for sharing some of your memories of that special dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you got Cleo! I was obsessed with the name...but for some reason I'm remembering it spelled with a K. Either I was weird and thought it was cool to spell it with a K, or that's how you wanted to spell it...?

    ReplyDelete